
I don't know if any of you remember Yvonne McLellan who babysat our boys years ago. She was only 11 or 12 but was the only person besides me that Jacob would go to as a baby. She was the only reason Jeremy and I ever got to go anywhere ever! Anyway, she is all grown up now and is in the military. She was home for a short while before her deployment and we were invited to her send-off party on Saturday. It was awesome to see her and her boyfriend who is being deployed, too. While we were there all the guests were asked to assemble in the front yard for a special ceremony. As we watched, a group of maybe 20 Patriot Guard Riders circled the street on their motorcycles, American flags streaming behind them. After they dismounted, their captain asked us to hold hands in a big circle and then we all sang the song "I'm Proud to Be an American". He then prayed for Yvonne and her safety and success. I have truly never been so proud to be an American. I could barely sing for the lump in my throat. Watching Yvonne and her mom, Tabatha, across the circle from me created a defining moment as it finally hit home and I could see families across the nation sacrificing their time together and too often, their lives, as they dedicate themselves to the defense of freedom around the world. And then I looked down and Isaac was holding hands with me and on his other side with a big burly leather-clad motorcycle dude and I thought of the freedoms he enjoys in our country when there are hungry, persecuted, war-torn families with children who have no idea what freedom means. I am so proud of Yvonne for the choice she has made and so proud of her sweet mama who holds her head up and supports her daughter although it tears her apart inside. This was such a neat experience for all of my boys and I hope I can teach them to honor and be grateful for those who sacrifice for them.

No comments:
Post a Comment