Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Preparedness Group


Our ward has a Preparedness HFPE group and we talk about things like 72-hour kits and gardening each month. Lately the craze has been canning meat. Meat! I've done it before and it is way easy, except for the part where you worry if the pressure canner will explode and mortally wound you. You just pop in the raw meat (hamburger, chicken, ground turkey, pork, venison, whatever) and some water and salt and process the cans. Given, the end result looks like the jars in a science lab or something gross like that. But the meat is really tender and it is SO easy to just grab a jar when you forgot to thaw meat or you are feeling really lazy about making dinner. Or just leave it on the shelf for food storage. Ta da!

2 comments:

  1. I'm not sure whether to be amazed or horrified! A little of both, I guess :) How long does it keep?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kel,
    I'm not sure how long it keeps! I know the sister who taught us told us but I can't remember. We just used some I did in 2002 and it was yummy and didn't make us sick, if that helps.

    ReplyDelete