Saturday, June 4, 2011

Disney

I was so excited to be asked to chaperone Spencer's Junior High Band trip to Disneyland, especially because my best friend Wendi would also be going!  It was a tiring three days but it was fun to be with Spencer and his friends at the Happiest Place on Earth.


I loved seeing how Disney treats their visiting performing groups!  They were very professional but made the kids feel so special.


The Band spent one afternoon in a clinic at Disneyland.  The director who worked with them has conducted many of the Disney films' orchestras and was amazing!  They learned clips of music from two Disney movies and recorded them in a professional studio.  Then the director would play back the music, with additional sound effects, along with the corresponding video clip from the movie.  Very cool!


The next day the band performed on the Backlot Stage at California Adventures.  It was such a beautiful day and I was so proud of all of the kids!


One of the pieces they performed was a medley of Journey songs.  Spencer worked so hard to learn the piano accompaniment to these songs and got to play on a keyboard at Disney.


While we were packing, I was reading the packing list to Spencer.  It included black dress pants to wear for the onstage performance at Disney.  Spencer went to his closet and grabbed some dress pants.  The morning of the performance I looked at Spencer and thought he looked funny.  Then I realized it was his pants.  He wears a size 18 black dress pants with his normal Sunday suit, but somehow he had packed a size 12 dark blue dress pants from an old suit that was hanging in his closet.  I could not believe what he was wearing!  I laughed myself sick.


Like I said, it was an exhausting three days.  Those kids never slept!  And the drama!  We arrived home at 4:30 Sunday morning and I was never so happy to see my comfortable bed.  But I am grateful for the experience.  Great memories, good times.


No comments:

Post a Comment