Saturday, April 2, 2011

Titan Missile Museum

OK. I show my ignorance by saying I had no idea what a Titan Missile was or why it existed. This is from the museum pamphlet: "The Titan II missile is the largest missile ever built by the United States. During the Cold War, 54 Titan II missiles stood alert in their underground silos all across the country, protecting the United States. In 1987, the last Titan II site was deactivated. Only one Titan II site remains."



We love to take our boys to see what is here in Arizona! I admit I couldn't see much of a draw to a missile museum but I ended up being fascinated by the history we learned on the tour. Good heavens, this happened during my lifetime and I was completely unaware.



We learned so much about how having such massive missiles around our country helped prevent a nuclear war that would have destroyed the world.



What a fun gift shop! You could buy everything from uranium infused marbles that glow under black light to a special pen that detects your exposure to radiation.


The tour was awesome. The size and destructive capacity of each missile was unbelievable.



Here we are looking down into the silo that holds the missile.

The next phase of the tour took us down 55 steps to the underground lauch control center and crew living quarters.

We were able to watch a simulated launch (and laugh a little at the enormous computers that would be hand-held today).



Walking through the corridors and 3-ton blast doors for an underground view of the Titan II made us marvel at the wisdom of the entire plan. We are so grateful to live in a country with resources and freedoms to protect and enjoy!



Besides being educational, we all thought it was such a fun and interesting tour! Now, on to our next adventure...

No comments:

Post a Comment