






Yes, it is just wrong that we haven't once gone to the Arizona State Fair in the nine years we have lived here! I guess it doesn't help that it is in the heart of scary Phoenix neighborhoods. But the TJH band performed at the fair last Friday afternoon so we braved the drive. What fun! We watched the band play and then the boys and I enjoyed (really!) the arts and crafts, cooking, 4-H and animal exhibits. P.S. Grandpa Tom...I told the boys you were a famous "Best of Show" winning pigeon guy (keeper? raiser? breeder?). Jeremy met us after work while we were looking at rocks and photography. I told the boys we had to do this on a budget and they were pretty supportive once they caught on to all the free stuff. We parked in a bargain lot (but then we had to walk by the homeless living areas in the bushes on the way out...eek!), took advantage of the $5 before 5 admission deal, found the Spammobile for free Spamburgers (oh yeah...Jacob ate 7 of these!) and shared our other food with each other. The boys filled out a "Reading Promotion" form from school that earned them three free rides for reading three books and enjoyed the big slide, the fun house, a really freak-out spinning ride, and a lying down ride (nope, I did not pay attention to the names of these rides). But the climax of the evening was the free Demolition Derby. As we found our seats, Noah said, "This is the dumbest thing I've ever been to." I laughed and said that was the fun of it. We watched all the other (mostly drunk) people cheering and screaming for their favorite cars and just giggled. It actually was pretty awesome and the car Noah cheered for won. Oh, man, that's something you've got to do once in your life, and I mean once. Isaac fell asleep blissfully unaware of the revving of engines, metal-on-metal crashes, and the roar of the crowd. All in all a great family activity. See you next year!

No comments:
Post a Comment